Thursday, August 18, 2011

Drawing Show: Hero!

June 18, 2011

Today was supposed to be a full day, involving getting up early, going to Seoul, visiting the DMZ tour office, shopping, having a meal, and seeing a show. As you might guess, things didn't go as planned.

The day started off on the wrong foot when I woke up at 2pm. I blame this entirely on my dear mother, who skyped with me until 3:45 am. It may or may not have also been my fault, as I then continued to surf the internet until 5am.

Anyway, I woke up at 2pm, and in a stellar display of self-control, I was out the door by 3pm. Took the train to Seoul – standing room, of course – and by that time it was 4:30pm.

My first stop was the USO tour office at Camp Kim. The reason for this is simple – the DMZ tour I booked for Jesse and I (who's coming to Korea in July) begins at 7:30 am, so I wanted to scout out where the place was before hand. I know, how unusually responsible of me. Anyway, the office was closed, but I now know where it is, so partial victory?

Now 5pm, I was torn between eating and going to see a show. I had directions to three different shows, but the only one close enough was Drawing Show: Hero! I've found that a great way to see shows in Seoul is just to show up 30 minutes before the show and buy a ticket. They always have an extra seat or two.

This unfortunately necessitated skipping dinner, although I did consume a generic blueberry muffin. I got a seat in the middle of a row, as when I went to see NANTA (Cookin!) and sat on the edge, they pulled me up on stage, where I proceeded to fail at making dumplings and probably looked like a complete idiot.

My seat was awesome - 3rd row, almost center stage. Before the show started, they played “Don't Worry, Be Happy” over and over, which was cheerful but obnoxious. The show itself was phenomenal! Humor, dancing, art, Superman = perfection.

After the show, I went to Myeongdong, where I intended to pick up some gifts to send home. I got myself a shirt, a cute umbrella, and various other things which I'll have to figure out who to give them to at a later date.

The only flaw in my shopping plan was that by the time I got back to Seoul station, I had just missed the 9pm train, so I had to wait until 10:15pm for the next one. This was a problem because I have a standing skype date with dad at 11pm, so I was about 30 minutes late. He didn't complain, luckily, and we had a lovely chat about, among other things, Father's Day! Jesse bought him a book about naval warfare, which dad immediately decided to return, until he actually looked at it and decided it wasn't such an awful present after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment