Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Accosted by the Man in Gray

May 21, 2011

Today I woke up with the intention of going to Seoul for some shopping and to see one of the grand palaces, but it was raining! Cursing my rotten luck, I lounged around for a few hours and contemplated the tattoo I may or may not be getting in the near future.

I have recently been on a “single instrument + singer” kick, starting with “I Will Follow You Into the Dark”, and now including the EP by Darrin Criss. In a fun juxtaposition, I've also been listening to Lady Gaga's new pop/electronic album.

Unlike the last time I ventured to AK in the rain, I was more or less dry when I arrived at the theater. I bought my ticket, then headed over to Yak & Everest for some butter chicken. The standout of the meal was the mango lassi, a combo of ice, mango, and yogurt. Delicious!

On my way back to AK, I discovered a concert going on. As the second song started, a friendly man in a grey suit came up to me and struck up a conversation. He has a Canadian friend, he chided me for not having a Korean boyfriend, and tried to explain what the song was about. The song is famous in Korea, called Arirang, and has something to do with the Japanese, a man and a woman, and someone getting killed. When he offered me a cigarette and said something about soju, I decided to make my exit.

Final impressions of the man: very nice, but a bit too touchy – he kept one hand rested on my shoulder for our entire conversation, and stood a little too close for comfort. Still, a fun, uniquely Korean encounter.

1 comment:

  1. A knowledgeable film student once told me that whenever people in old movies light cigarettes for each other, it is symbolic of their mega-lust for one another. Also, I will follow you into the dark is good good good. Definitely the best song on Plans :)

    ReplyDelete