Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lotte Mart!




I woke up late this morning – 11:30, if you can believe it! My plan was to get up, clean the apartment, and check out the Lotte Mart, which is the Korean version of Walmart, except I got caught up... well, not doing that. No, seriously, I was only a few chapters from the end of Wizard’s First Rule, so I finished it up. Which was very sad for me, because I want to read the sequel, but I didn’t bring it with me! Mom thinks I should buy it here, but I have no idea where to get it! I’ll have to facebook Lynn and ask her about English book stores in Pyeongtaek/Seoul. It would be a pain to go all the way up to Seoul just to get a book, though.

After wasting away my life until almost 3 pm, I finally got my act together and out the door. Lotte Mart, or “Big Lotte”, as Sacha and Sean call it, since it’s basically a huge version of the Lotte Super by our house, is a few blocks away – a bit further than the Lotte Super, but not by much, I think. I can actually take a bus to get there, but I’m hesitant about using a bus until I go with someone else first. There’s something about swiping a card when you get on and off... very bizarre.


Anyway, Lotte Mart was awesome! It’s a multi-level shopping extravaganza! And the escalators aren’t stairs, but ramps! OMG! I know, craziness. I found bedsheets on the second floor at the very back, and after some failed attempts at communication I managed to get my hands on bedsheets. However, when I got back to the apartment, I discovered that I had accidentally bought 2 fitted sheets, instead of 1 fitted, 1 not. Not to worry! Using my mad skillz, I chopped off the elastic band on one of them and created a non-fitted bedsheet. Anyone who feels like sending me a sewing kit would be greatly appreciated, lol.


Because I only bought bedsheets – oh, and a pillow! It’s one of those memory foam pillows, except I think it gave me a neck ache, but more on that later – I had to go over to Little Lotte for actual groceries. That went well, although I had to buy a big water bottle, so combine that with the groceries and my arms nearly fell off.

Sacha came by around 6 and invited me to dinner with her and Sean, which was incredibly sweet of her. I had been planning ramen dinner, so Indian food and good company was infinitely better! Apparently they tried to go to the ice bar last night, but it was closed down! Which sucked, although I understand that they found other, alcohol-related activities to keep them suitably occupied until approximately 4 am. Again, I’ll have to work myself up to such feats of stamina.

We went to an Indian restaurant, called Yaks... and something else. There was definitely a yak in the title. It took forever to get the food, but when it did come, it was soooooo good! Naan bread, butter chicken, tandoori chicken, spicy yet delicious fried rice... yum. If people come visit me, I’ll definitley bring them there... although I guess you don’t really visit Korea for a week to eat Indian food, lol. I hope they bring me along next time as well, because the food was phenomenal.

Back home, and I borrowed Slumdog Millionaire and Constantine from Sacha, who’s a huge movie buff. I think she could probably give Rhia a run for her money! Not the Proulx family, though, although that’s because we kind of cheat by getting free DVDs 24/7. Slumdog was as heartbreaking and wonderful as I remembered, and Constantine was... not quite what I was expecting, but enjoyable nonetheless. I’d got it into my head that Constantine was an angel, which is not at all the case. Hmm.

So I did go to Lotte Mart, but the cleaning part of my grand plan was a bust. Ah well. Best laid plans and all that. Back to school tomorrow, so I’d better get some sleep!

2 comments:

  1. You really need to find an English bookstore before you start suffering serious reading withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two thumbs up for making two fitted bed sheets into one fitted and one non fitted.
    :)

    ReplyDelete